If you didn’t already know, Natura Cabana is a family business. Many years ago, a couple managed to build an eco-responsible hotel focused on a healthy lifestyle. Their passion for everything natural and organic cuisine led them to open the first restaurant and then a second.
This passion was passed on to the generation that followed them. Their four daughters would also develop a passion for healthy food, good lifestyle habits and eco-friendliness. Having grown up in an environment that allows them to consume products mainly from the family organic garden, the Garimanis have been able to experiment with various recipes over the years.
Here are some of their recipes with ingredients that are a little more uncommon, but which you can find in the organic baskets that we recently started selling to the members of our community.
Franca’s Aloe Vera Cleansing Smoothie
Ingredients (1 smoothie)
- 2 tablespoons of aloe vera or aloe vera crystal
- 2 frozen ripe bananas
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 cup of coconut water or regular water
- *Optional to sweeten with 2 dates, honey or agave to taste
Blend everything together, and serve.
Note: You can add chia, hemp, bee pollen or any other dry ingredients on top of your smoothie to add some nutty taste and texture.
Bianca’s Purslane Garlic Pasta
Ingredients (one serving)
- 100-150g pasta of your choice
- 100 g purslane (about one handful)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- Olive oil for cooking
- Quality olive oil for serving
- Bring a pot of water to boil over high heat and add the pasta. Cook as desired and drain.
- Wash the purslane, bunch all the sprigs and chop about 1 inch apart.
- Peel the garlic cloves and slice them.
- In a saucepan in medium heat, drizzle olive oil or your cooking fat of choice (butter, ghee, oil)
- Sautée the garlic until its aroma makes itself present.
- Add the purslane and keep stirring for about 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Stir drained pasta into the garlic purslane saucepan.
- Add your favorite olive oil, salt to taste, serve, and enjoy!
Tania’s Veggie Arepas
Ingredients (6-8 arepas)
- 2 cups of arepa flour (precooked cornmeal)
- Your favorite veggies
- Cherry tomatoes
- Arugula or other greens
- Spicy mayonnaise
- Scrambled Eggs (optional)
- Olive Oil
- Sesame seeds
Note: For vegan options; omit eggs and use vegan mayo!
- Combine arepa flour and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center and add 2½ cups of warm water. Using a wooden spoon, stir until no dry lumps remain. Let rest 5 minutes to hydrate.
- Cut tomatoes in little cubes, slice or smash the avocado and top it with sesame seeds, wash greens and place them all in separate bowls. (Same with scrambled eggs if you are using them).
- Knead the dough a few times in a bowl, then divide into 6-8 pieces (depending on the arepa size you will like).
- Roll each piece on the work surface into a ball, then gently flatten to about ½ inch thick.
- Add oil to a medium pan or skillet under medium/low and cook the arepas 5 -7 minutes on each side until gold brown
- Once cooked, split them ¾ open and stuff them with the desired filling – you may use any other veggies you’d like!
- Add spicy mayo and/or olive oil to taste.
Lole’s Cuban Mojito
Ingredients (1 Mojito)
- Lemon Juice
- Mint leaves
- Add sugar and lemon juice in the glass you will the drink your mojito in and mash it together until the sugar dissolves in the lemon juice.
- Add mint leaves and mash it only a little more in order to release its aroma.
- Chop a lemon into little chunks and add it to the glass, along with ice cubes.
- Pour in rum of your choice and top it off with soda.
- Gently stir and drink your delicious mojito!
*Optional: may add a couple of drops of angostura for a slightly bitter
Isabella’s Tropical Mango Guacamole
- Very ripe avocado x3 – preferably Hass (halved, pitted, chopped into large chunks)
- Tomatoes x2 (chopped very small)
- Cilantro (handful, chopped very small)
- Red Onion (to taste, maybe 1/2 of a small one, grated or chopped into VERY small pieces)
- Lime, salt, pepper – to taste
- Mango x1, diced
- Optional: smoked chile, or spice of choice
- Place avocado chunks in a large bowl (without mashing it yet)
- Add chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and onion. Fold with a spoon. Add lime juice, salt, and pepper. Stir until mixed completely.
- Add diced mango (and optional spice if using) and fold once more
until desired consistency.
- Serve with yummy tortilla chips or add to any of your favorite dishes!
Tip: the reason to not mash the avocado beforehand is because this
recipe requires mixing a lot of ingredients throughout, which will make
the avocado TOO liquidy).
Please share any pictures with us if you do try one of these recipes. 🙂